PARTNERS IN REHAB is an authorized Functional Assessment Centre (FAC) approved by the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (MTO).
Assessments conducted include:
- Vision Waiver Functional Assessment
- Driving Assessment for Medical Reasons
The Team Includes:
- Registered Occupational Therapist (Member of the Association for Driver Rehabilitation Specialists)
- Referring Physician/Family Doctor
- Certified Driving Instructor (Member of the Association for Driver Rehabilitation Specialists)
- Equipment Vendors who supply assistive devices and vehicle modifications for drivers with physical impairments
- In-clinic assessment of the physical, visual and cognitive skills required for driving and the driver’s ability to manage the rules of the road
- On-the-road driving evaluation in the driving instructor’s vehicle that is customized for driving assessments and vehicle modifications
- Driver training with the use of adaptive vehicle equipment if necessary
- Recommendations for adaptive vehicle equipment if required
- Remedial in-car driving lessons to improve driver skills
- Recommendations for maintaining safe driving ability
- Reporting of driving evaluation/assessment outcomes to the referring physician and client
- Consult with family, vendors, MTO and others, as specified by the client with written consent
Who may need a driving assessment / rehabilitation?
- An individual with a medical condition thatmay affect their ability to drive .
- An Individual with vision loss below the Ministry of Transportation requirements and has acceptance into the Vision Waiver Program
- An Individual who has the need for assistive devices or vehicle modifications due to a disability
- Legal age to drive
- In stable health
- Meets Ministry of Transportation requirements for driving related to vision
- Must be seizure-free
- Possess a valid driver’s licence or the ability to obtain a one day temporary licence
- Physician referral with pertinent information to include diagnosis and driving concerns
$690.00 fee for initial assessment (in clinic and in car). Additional cost for an in-car reassessment and driver training sessions will be charged, if needed.
Outcomes of Functional Driving Assessment:
- You are safe to drive
- You are safe to drive with vehicle modifications and training
- You may require further driver training and a re-assessment
- You are not safe to drive